Applications for the 2014 AASB Graduate Program
The Australian Accounting Standards Board (AASB) is currently seeking one or more outstanding Honours graduates or postgraduates in accounting or closely related fields to join the AASB Graduate Program, during which they will actively participate in all stages of the standard-setting process.
Graduates join the technical staff of the AASB for the 12 months following completion of their degree.
Graduates will have the opportunity to:
- develop superior technical, organisational and interpersonal skills that will be invaluable in any future professional career
- develop a comprehensive understanding of the standard setting process in Australia
- gain exposure to a variety of new and stimulating ideas
- acquire theoretical and practical knowledge regarding the development and implementation of Australian accounting standards
- liaise with a wide range of people within the accounting profession, the government and other industries
Graduates will provide technical support to the AASB, including:
- researching national and international topics relating to accounting standards affecting the for-profit, not-for-profit and public sectors
- assisting in all phases of drafting accounting standards
- collating and analysing submissions on documents for public comment received by the AASB for presentation to the Board and preparing papers on current financial reporting issues
- participating in AASB meetings
- engaging with stakeholders
- preparing a weekly electronic newsletter reporting on significant international developments in financial reporting and related issues
Graduates should have the following qualifications:
- excellent academic results, including research experience demonstrated through an Honours degree in accounting or finance, or an equivalent-based postgraduate qualification
- excellent English communication skills
- a keen interest in accounting issues
- a keen interest in developing superior technical, organisational and interpersonal skills that will be invaluable in any future professional career
Appointments are offered conditionally early in the final year of study, and are to be taken up in January/February of the following year.
The appointments attract a salary based on salaries paid by the Melbourne offices of the major accounting firms for graduates with Honours.
The AASB is located at Level 7, 600 Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia. Previous Graduate Interns have come from numerous locations throughout Australia, New Zealand and other countries. Where appropriate, the AASB will provide financial assistance to Graduates needing to relocate to Melbourne.
Applications for the 2014 AASB Graduate Program are due by Friday, 24 May 2013 and should consist of:
- a cover letter stating the reason for wanting to join the AASB
- a resume
- official transcript of results to date
For more information about the application process, please see the Graduate Program FAQs section.
Please address applications or questions to:
Ms Sue Lightfoot (Senior Project Manager)
(Calls from Australia): (03) 9617 7600
(International calls): +61 3 9617 7600