The 2017 AASB Research Forum was hosted by the University of Melbourne, Department of Accounting on Friday 24 November.
The forum brought together academics, practitioners and regulators to explore the topic of effective communication of financial and narrative reporting. As well as the presentation of research findings, the program featured a keynote presentation from IASB Vice-Chair Sue Lloyd and presentations from the AASB Research Director Prof Christine Helliar and the University of Melbourne's Prof Ian Gow.
The presentations are available for download via the below links:
Is financial reporting still an effective tool for equity investors in Australia?
- Research team: Michael Davern, University of Melbourne; Nikole Gyles, University of Melbourne; Dr Dean Hanlon, Monash University; Professor Matthew Pinnuck, University of Melbourne
- Panelists: Ian Curry – former Chair, ASA, Gillian Larkins – CFO, Perpetual; John Price – Commissioner, ASIC
- Moderator: Kris Peach – Chair, AASB
Recognition, measurement and disclosure of intangibles
- Research team: Professor Reza Monem, Griffith University; Professor Asheq Raman, Auckland University of Technology; Dr Humayan Kabir, Auckland University of Technology
- Panelists: Tony Krizan – CFO, NHMRC; Lyndal York – CFO, Asaleo (formerly Cochlear); Toby Langley – Financials Research, Merrill Lynch
- Moderator: Regina Fikkers – Deputy Chair, AASB; Partner, PwC
The communication of accounting information in summary financial reports
- Research team: Dr Tom Scott, Auckland University of Technology; Professor Michael Bradbury, Massey University; Pei-Chi (Kelly) Hsiao, University of Auckland
- Panelists: Andrew Greaves – Auditor General, VAGO; Ange Marshall – CFO, Yarra City Council and President of the Local Government Financial Professionals Association; Danny Pearson MP – Victorian Public Accounts and Estimates Committee Chair
- Moderator: Prof Roger Simnett AO – Chair Auditing and Assurance Standards Board
Research and Standard Setting – how to contribute to the IASB's work, presented by IASB Vice-Chair Sue Lloyd
Influencing, collaborating and engaging with standard setters, presented by AASB Research Director Christine Helliar
Overcoming challenges in Australian Research settings, presented by Director, Melbourne Centre for Corporate Governance and Regulation, Prof Ian Gow